You are here : Permits  >  Right of Way Permits
Located at:

200 Commerce Drive 

P.O. Box 187

Ithaca, MI 48847-0187

Phone: 989-875-3811

Fax: 989-875-2831

Email: gratiot@gratiotroads.org

After Hour Emergency: Dial 911

Hours of Operation


Monday - Friday 
7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.


Right of Way Permits

A local or primary road maintained by the Gratiot County Road Commission is typically 66 feet wide. The entire width including the roadbed, shoulders, ditches and adjacent land is called the right-of-way (ROW), and the Gratiot County Road Commission has a permanent easement to use and manage the ROW, no matter who actually owns it. (Click here for more on the public ROW.)

The purpose of the ROW is to provide a place for the road water to drain away from the road surface and to provide a safety zone for vehicles that leave the roadway.

Any time that a utility or utility subcontractor, commercial business, or a citizen wishes to work in the ROW they must obtain a permit from the county road commission. In Gratiot County the permit application fee is $50.  The right of way permit serves to create dialogue between the person doing work in the ROW and the road commission, which must protect public safety and uphold road engineering best practices.

To perform any work in the right of way in Gratiot County, including but not limited to, driveway construction, culvert installation (open cut or directional bore), private utility installation or roadway ditch cleanout/maintenance please fill out the permit application below and return to permits@gratiotroads.org.

Certain activities necessary for the repair and/or maintenance of public utilities may be authorized under an annual permit.  These maintenance activities include:

Tree trimming and removal for adequate clearance from all poles and wires on county roads, occupied, crossed or paralleled by electric transmission, distribution or communication lines. The repair, routine maintenance and/or modernization of existing aerial facilities, including installation of one-pole aerial crossings from an existing line.  Repair, inspection and routine maintenance of underground facilities. The installation of gas service lines, up to and including 2" from existing main on either side of road (BORE ONLY).  2” lateral connections on existing mains that run parallel to right of way.

Click Here to apply for an Annual Utility Permit 

Driveways and road approaches shall be constructed in accordance with the most current version of the Gratiot County Road Commission Specifications and Administrative Rules Regulating Driveways and Road Approaches. 


Click Here to View Driveway Requirements and Specifications


Click Here to Apply for a Right of Way Permit


Click Here to Pay $50 Permit Application Fee