Right Of Way Permits

Important Information Regarding Right of Way Permits in Gratiot County

Right of Way Permits

GCA local or primary road maintained by the Gratiot County Road Commission is typically 66 feet wide. The entire width including the roadbed, shoulders, ditches and adjacent land is called the right-of-way (ROW), and the Gratiot County Road Commission has a permanent easement to use and manage the ROW, no matter who actually owns it. (Click here for more on the public ROW.)

The purpose of the ROW is to provide a place for the road water to drain away from the road surface and to provide a safety zone for vehicles that leave the roadway.

Any time that a utility or utility subcontractor, commercial business, or a citizen wishes to work in the ROW they must obtain a permit from the county road commission. In Gratiot County the permit application fee is $50. The right of way permit serves to create dialogue between the person doing work in the ROW and the road commission, which must protect public safety and uphold road engineering best practices.

To perform any work in the right of way in Gratiot County, including but not limited to, driveway construction, culvert installation (open cut or directional bore), private utility installation or roadway ditch cleanout/maintenance please fill out the permit application below and return to permits@gratiotroads.org.

Certain activities necessary for the repair and/or maintenance of public utilities may be authorized under an annual permit. These maintenance activities include:

Tree trimming and removal for adequate clearance from all poles and wires on county roads, occupied, crossed or paralleled by electric transmission, distribution or communication lines. The repair, routine maintenance and/or modernization of existing aerial facilities, including installation of one-pole aerial crossings from an existing line. Repair, inspection and routine maintenance of underground facilities. The installation of gas service lines, up to and including 2″ from existing main on either side of road (BORE ONLY). 2” lateral connections on existing mains that run parallel to right of way.

Click Here to apply for an Annual Utility Permit

Click Here to download a copy of the GCRC Utility Installation Guidelines

Driveways and road approaches shall be constructed in accordance with the most current version of the Gratiot County Road Commission Specifications and Administrative Rules Regulating Driveways and Road Approaches.


Click Here to View Driveway Requirements and Specifications 

Click Here to Apply for a Right of Way Permit*

*Right of Way permits for installing culverts across the road are no longer being issued for the 2022 construction season due to wet road conditions.

Click Here to Pay $50 Permit Application Fee

Gov Pay Options


Online Payments

About the Service

The Gratiot County Road Commission accepts credit cards and debit cards for the payment of permits and damage claim invoices through GovPayNet®. There will be a nominal fee charged for this service.

As part of our commitment to provide citizens with efficient, convenient service, the Gratiot County Road Commission has partnered with GovPayNet® to offer payment options over the internet and by telephone by calling 888-604-7888.

Acceptable Payment Types & Associated Fees

American Express®, Discover®, Master Card®, and Visa® credit and debit cards and prepaid debit cards are accepted. GovPayNet®, the service provider, charges a service fee for phone and online payment transactions.

**All Seasonal Weight Restriction Permits Must be Approved by the Gratiot County Road Commission Prior to Acceptance of Payment**



200 Commerce Drive
P.O. Box 187
Ithaca, MI 48847-0187


Phone: 989-875-3811
Fax: 989-875-2831


Monday - Friday
7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
After Hours Emergency:
Dial 911